Round, square, wedge and more! There are many sizes, colors, shapes, and textures when it comes to massage bolsters, and these versatile accessories are an essential part of massage therapy to position clients comfortably. What exactly are massage bolsters, how are they best used, and how do you pick one?
Massage therapists use accessories like bolsters to enhance their practice by providing a comfortable and supportive experience for clients. Simply stated, bolsters are cushions that elevate a part of the body. They are commonly used in massage practices and yoga studios to help re-position the body in a more comfortable way allowing the therapist to practice massage without sacrificing client comfort.
Bolsters are ideally used for:
Since our bodies rarely lie completely flat on a treatment table, bolsters are useful for therapists and clients. How to position a bolster depends on the needs of each client. A bolster placed under the feet is most common, as a client lies on his/her stomach. A bolster inserted underneath the knees as a client lies on their back also reduces lower back and leg strain.
Getting to know bolsters
Bolsters by shape
- Cylinder Bolsters are shaped like a cylinder and are great for positioning your client and acts as a body pillow on the massage table.
- Half Moon Bolster (half round / semi round bolsters) function as a knee support. They won't slip or roll away during sessions.
- Three-Quarter Round Bolsters are similar to the semi round style. They are round on one side and flat on the other side and they are used for support under knees, legs, and back.
- Wedge Bolsters feature a unique, slanted design that transforms a flat table into recline, supine, and other positions to aid massage and body treatments.
Bolsters by fill
- Air Bolsters are filled with air and allow you to customize the size of the bolster as needed.
- Buckwheat bolster pillows are filled with organic buckwheat hull.
- Foam Bolsters provide the ultimate cradling support for the hips, knees, and ankles.
Why are massage bolsters important?
Massage bolsters are essential for providing maximum comfort to your clients during massage. These versatile pillows can be placed under the knees, ankles, back, neck, and head to guide your clients into a relaxing, therapeutic position. Bolsters come in a variety of shapes and sizes to meet your therapy needs.
A variety of shapes and sizes allows you to choose the ideal bolster for your therapy needs
Several stylish colors provide multiple options for you to select the perfect match for your massage table or décor
The soft but durable covering stands up to everyday use and adds to your clients’ comfort
A convenient strap on one end of the bolster ensures easy placement and transport
How do you pick a massage bolster?
A Touch Above the Rest
Bring even greater comfort and support to your clients with Custom Craftworks' extensive line of massage bolsters and extensions. Choose from a variety of shapes and sizes of supportive bolsters or add just the right amount of length or width using table extensions.
This blog was curated from the article, What is a Massage Bolster Used For and How to Pick One by Andrew Lierre published November 21, 2019. Read the full article here.
Originally founded in 1986, Custom Craftworks supports the vital work of professional manual therapists and educators in the massage therapy and holistic health fields by designing, building and sourcing the best-quality massage tables, chairs, equipment and accessories available. In 2009, the company was acquired by Pivotal Health Solutions based in Watertown, South Dakota.